Hamilton County Post-Divorce Disputes Lawyer

In an ideal world, once your divorce is final, you would have no further problems with your ex-spouse. Unfortunately, life changes, and it is not uncommon for issues to arrive after the marriage is dissolved.

If you need to resolve an issue with your former spouse, an experienced Hamilton County post-divorce disputes lawyer could assist you. Our dedicated divorce attorneys represent clients across the state in all manners of post-dissolution disputes.

Common Causes of Post-Divorce Disputes

Many situations could present potential legal problems for a divorced couple. Some of these include:

  • Changes in a parent’s income necessitating a modification of child or spousal support
  • A party refuses to transfer marital property pursuant to a divorce decree
  • A payor spouse fails to pay court-ordered child support or alimony
  • A child’s needs change due to an unexpected medical condition
  • One parent wants to relocate for a job or remarriage
  • A parent refuses to honor a parenting plan
  • A party refuses to comply with a marital settlement agreement

A party could incur substantial legal fees to resolve these disputes. As such, it is essential to work with a local attorney experienced in enforcement actions. A knowledgeable attorney in Hamilton County could assess a post-divorce disputes case’s facts and explain the available legal options.

Using a Contempt Petition to Address a Post-Divorce Dispute

In family law cases, contempt of court is one of the most common methods judges use to enforce court orders. To initiate a contempt action, one party must file a pleading detailing the other party’s violations. For example, if a parent consistently pays child support late, the petition should include the dates of the non-compliant payments.

Under state law, there are two types of contempt —civil and criminal. When a parent disobeys a court order in a domestic relations case, a judge could find them in civil contempt. In these cases, the court must offer the contemptuous party an opportunity to correct their violation, or “purge” the contempt.

How are Contempt Sanctions Used?

A judge could issue criminal contempt sanctions when a party willfully fails to comply with a court order or does something to obstruct justice, like refusing to produce evidence requested explicitly by the court. In these situations, the damage has been done, and a party cannot purge their noncompliance. A criminal contempt finding could result in substantial fines, incarceration, or both.

Because the sanctions are severe, a party seeking to hold the other party in contempt must provide evidence to the court sufficient to prove the other party’s violations by clear and convincing evidence. A seasoned attorney in Hamilton County could further explain contempt proceedings in a post-divorce dispute case and guide a party through the legal process.

How Can Legal Representation Help Resolve Post-Divorce Disputes?

The laws governing post-divorce disputes are complex. While a party has various options to resolve their case, they may find it challenging to navigate the legal system independently. A skilled post-divorce disputes attorney is well-versed in Tennessee’s enforcement and contempt statutes and could prepare and file the necessary post-judgment pleadings in court.

After a legal representative submits a post-dissolution motion, they could help a party negotiate a settlement to avoid further legal proceedings. If direct discussions with the opposing party do not lead to a resolution, a capable local lawyer could present the moving party’s case to a judge.

Get Help From a Seasoned Hamilton County Post-Divorce Disputes Attorney

Whether filing a post-divorce dispute action or responding to one prepared by your former spouse, a dedicated Hamilton County post-divorce disputes lawyer could help you build a solid case. At our firm, we work to resolve your post-divorce dispute quickly and efficiently so you can move forward with your life. Call today to talk to one of our committed attorneys about your legal options.

Get Help From Our Experienced Attorneys